How to Choose a Nursing College near Rainbow City Alabama
Searching for the best nursing program near Rainbow City AL may seem like a complicated project, particularly if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and determine the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate selection. Unfortunately, too many potential students base their decision exclusively on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Choosing the least expensive school or the one that is local to your home is undoubtedly not the most ideal way to select a nursing college. There are various crucial additional considerations to look into before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first look at what the job of a registered nurse is in our health system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different Rainbow City AL medical environments, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic job is to assist doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Observing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more advanced job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are multiple degrees to choose from to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in just two years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Rainbow City AL area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a two year program offered by Alabama community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately achieve a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more in depth training than the ADN. It is usually a 4 year program offered at Alabama colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is normally a two year program after achieving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so make sure to get in touch with the Alabama board of nursing for any state requirements.
Nursing Online Degrees
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is emerging as a more in demand way to receive instruction and acquire a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs require a certain amount of clinical rotation hours performed in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient answer to finding the free time to attend school for some Rainbow City AL students. Concerning tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your work and family commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Courses
Once you have determined which nursing program to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus or online, you can use the following checklist to start narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Rainbow City AL area and throughout Alabama and the United States. So it is necessary to lower the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we already pointed out, the location of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Aside from helping confirm that you receive a premium education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans in Rainbow City AL, which are often not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Alabama or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check internet rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. Additionally, contact the Alabama school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Rainbow City AL healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a favorable reputation within the Rainbow City AL healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Rainbow City AL hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Rainbow City AL?
Rainbow City, Alabama
This city was named after U.S. Highway 411, called Rainbow Drive, which runs through the middle of the city. Some of the older citizens say it was named after the US 42nd Infantry Division, known as the "Rainbow Division".
As early as 1818, families from the Carolinas and Georgia began to migrate to the area and homestead land near the Coosa River. Hernando de Soto's troops were the first visitors to the area in 1540, and today a bridge stands where the Pensacola Trading Path crossed the Coosa River. A paved highway now traces the trail that was cut from Nashville to Horseshoe Bend by Andrew Jackson on his way to fight the Creek Native Americans in what is now known as the Battle of Horseshoe Bend.
Originally called "Coosa Bend", the area was later called "Morgan's Cross Road". It was located at the intersection of the Gadsden-Ashville Road and Gilbert's Ferry Road. The land was passed from Edmond Jones to his son Clayton, who never married. When he died, the land passed to his sister, Luvica Morgan, who was also the wife of William Morgan.
Pick the Right RN Course near Rainbow City AL
Deciding on the right registered nursing degree program is perhaps the most important step to starting a new career in the medical care industry. There are numerous aspects that you should consider when deciding on a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have stressed within this article, it is important that you select an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the proper degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Rainbow City AL.
More Fabulous Cities in Alabama
Business Results 1 - 10 of 37
Bing: Alabama Nursing Schools Search results
School of Nursing | UAB
The UAB School of Nursing is seeking pre-accreditation of a Nurse Midwifery Specialty Concentration in our MSN program by the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME). As part of the pre‐accreditation review, we are inviting our School of Nursing constituents to provide comments on the School of Nursing’s qualifications and ...
All Nursing Schools - Find the Nursing Education and ...
All Nursing Schools is committed to helping you advance your career and improve your life through education. It's our mission to empower you on your career path by being a trusted resource for information that will help you achieve your goal for a better future.
Online Nursing Programs & Schools || RegisteredNursing.org
Many schools will require electronic books to be purchased as well as uniforms, stethoscopes, and white nursing shoes or other items needed for clinicals, if required. Online courses require each student to have access to a computer which is fast enough and has enough memory to support the program.
20 Best Nursing Schools in Georgia - (2021 Rankings)
About the WellStar School of Nursing: Forty-five years ago, what’s now the WellStar School of Nursing was a two-year nursing degree in GA that trained nurses to work in rural health care settings. Today, WellStar is the largest nursing program in the northern part of the Peach State. The School is located in the four-story, 200,000-square-foot Prillaman Hall-Health Sciences Building on the ...
Nursing School Alabama - Nursing Program | Wallace State ...
The program in nursing is approved by the Alabama Board of Nursing and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 1400, Atlanta, Georgia, 30326, (404) 975-5000, www.ACENursing.org. The AAS degree conferred by WSCC is accepted for transfer credit at all major four-year universities.
Online Nursing Programs & Degrees
Online Nursing Programs & Degrees . Recognizing that students in all programs except our traditional and accelerated BSN program are already RNs, the University of South Alabama was an early adopter in offering fully online RN to BSN, Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), RN to MSN, Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degrees, and fully online Post-Graduate certificate options.
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
LPN Programs in Alabama, License Requirements ...
138 Alabama 35, Rainsville, AL 35744 - (256) 228-6001 - Northeast Alabama Community College is located near Rainsville, Alabama and is home to a top-notch Practical Nursing (LPN) program. LPN students learn concepts and theories integral to the art and science of nursing.
2021 Best Nursing Schools Rankings - National & by State ...
Best nursing schools in Alabama. There are 39 schools offering nursing programs in Alabama. Here are the top 5: 1- Auburn University School of Nursing, Auburn; 2- Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing, Samford University, Birmingham; 3- UAB School of Nursing, University of Alabama, Birmingham; 4- Capstone College of Nursing, The University of ...
University of Alabama--Birmingham - Best Medical Schools ...
University of Alabama--Birmingham is ranked No. 32 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 21 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set ...