How to Pick a Nursing Program near Elmendorf Afb Alaska
Choosing the right nursing school near Elmendorf Afb AK may seem like a complicated undertaking, especially if you aren’t sure what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently understand, to practice as a registered nurse, you need to acquire the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you research and assess the qualifications of each school you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate choice. Unfortunately, too many prospective students base their determination solely on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Going with the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your residence is undoubtedly not the best way to decide on a nursing school. There are many important additional considerations to investigate before you make a decision where to attend classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first cover what the role of a registered nurse is in our medical care system, as well as the nursing degree options that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Elmendorf Afb AK medical settings, such as hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to assist doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. Some of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
There is more than one degree option to choose from to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in just two years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are available in the Elmendorf Afb AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program made available by Alaska community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and later attain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more expansive training than the ADN. It is generally a 4 year program offered at Alaska colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is commonly a two year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to contact the Alaska board of nursing for any state requirements.
Nursing Online Programs
Enrolling in nursing programs online is emerging as a more in demand way to receive training and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a specified amount of clinical rotation hours completed in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient answer to finding the time to attend school for some Elmendorf Afb AK students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are cheaper than other on campus alternatives. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family responsibilities have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Now that you have determined which nursing degree to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following guidelines to start narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly are aware, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges in the Elmendorf Afb AK area and throughout Alaska and the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the site of the school as well as the expense of tuition are probably going to be the primary two things that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. Besides helping confirm that you receive a premium education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans in Elmendorf Afb AK, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only provides a top-notch education, but also preps you to satisfy the minimum licensing requirements for Alaska or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the assessments are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. In addition, get in touch with the Alaska school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Elmendorf Afb AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Elmendorf Afb AK healthcare community, but that it also has the network of relationships to help students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Check if the schools have associations with Elmendorf Afb AK hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placing of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Elmendorf Afb AK?
Structure of the United States Armed Forces
The chain of command leads from the President (as commander-in-chief) through the Secretary of Defense down to the newest recruits. The United States armed forces are organized through the United States Department of Defense, which oversees a complex structure of joint command and control functions with many units reporting to various commanding officers. The following is an incomplete list of the various major military units, commands, and DOD offices and agencies, including civilian and military chains of command.
Pick the Right RN College near Elmendorf Afb AK
Enrolling in the right registered nursing college is potentially the most critical first step to beginning a new career in the health care field. There are many aspects that you should take into account when deciding on a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have emphasized in this article, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the health care community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Elmendorf Afb AK.
More Fabulous Cities in Alaska
Business Results 1 - 10 of 56
Bing: Alaska Nursing Schools Search results
School of Nursing | University of Alaska Anchorage
The University of Alaska Anchorage's School of Nursing prepares students for current and future roles in local, state, national, and worldwide arenas as a partner in shaping health care for Alaska. Programs are available at the AAS, BS, MS, and DNP levels.
Nursing Schools in Alaska | Best Nursing Degree
Nursing Issues in Alaska. At an Alaska nursing college, you may learn how to best meet these needs while building your education based on the latest evidence in healthcare. Comparing the programs offered at Alaska nursing schools may help you decide which degree is the next step for you and how you can prepare for a career in nursing.
The Best Nursing Schools And Programs In Alaska - NurseBuff
Even though Alaska is a large state, nursing students are faced with limited options in pursuing their careers. This is mostly due to the relatively few colleges in the area that offer traditional BSN programs. If you are looking for the best nursing program in Alaska, this guide has everything you need to know. Requirements: […]
Nursing Schools and Licensing Requirements in Alaska ...
Alaska Nursing Schools. In order to address the state’s nurse shortage, nursing schools in Alaska are working to attract more students to their programs. For example, the University of Alaska Anchorage has updated its admission process to shorten the waitlist time for its competitive bachelor’s degree in nursing program.
Alaska's Top Nursing Schools & Colleges + Accredited ...
Schools, Licensing Requirements, and Resources. Like much of the United States, Alaska faces a growing demand for licensed nurses to help care for an aging population.Between 2016 and 2026, Alaska will require over 1,100 additional registered nurses to meet the state’s healthcare needs, making it an ideal time to begin a nursing career in Alaska.
Nursing Schools In Alaska For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LPN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Alaska nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Alaska and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
Alaska Nursing Schools - Nursing Schools Guide
Alaska Nursing Schools There aren’t many campus locations within Alaska nursing schools, but there are several online options. It is a large state that boasts relatively urban areas right alongside pristine wilderness.
List of accredited nursing schools in Alaska ...
List of accredited nursing schools in Alaska Alaska is proud to offer a number of accredited programs for the nursing profession. Both the University of Alaska Fairbanks and Alaska's Institute of Technology offer certificates for nursing assistants, normally completed over the course of several weeks.
List of accredited nursing schools in Anchorage, Alaska ...
Anchorage nursing schools by NCLEX score. Alaska Career College. 1415 East Tudor Road | Anchorage, Alaska 99507. Associate's Degree in Nursing. Charter College. 2221 East Northern Lights Boulevard, Suite 120 | Anchorage, Alaska 99508. Associate's Degree in Nursing. University of Alaska Anchorage. 3211 Providence Drive | Anchorage, Alaska 99508.
Top Alaska Nursing Schools & Nursing Degrees
State Nursing Associations for Alaska Nurses. Active and vital nursing associations include Alaska Nurses Association and the Alaska Nurse Practitioners Association. Salary for RNs and LPNs in AK. Average salary range for a staff RN in Anchorage is $66,600 to $81,000. The salary range in Fairbanks only drops about $1,000. For an LPN the salary ...