How to Pick a Nursing College near Acton California
Selecting the best nursing program near Acton CA may seem like a formidable undertaking, especially if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may already know, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and measure the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your ultimate choice. The fact is, too many prospective students base their selection exclusively on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your house is probably not the best way to decide on a nursing college. There are many key additional things to explore before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first cover what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Acton CA medical settings, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic job is to aid doctors in the care of their patients. However, the exact duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise in addition to where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more complex job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat basic illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option to choose from to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to attain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Acton CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a 2 year program offered by California community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more in depth training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at California colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to check with the California board of nursing for any state mandates.
Nursing Online Programs
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is growing into a more in demand way to obtain training and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more accommodating solution to finding the free time to attend classes for many Acton CA students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your job and family commitments have left you with little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Courses
Once you have chosen which nursing program to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus or online, you can use the following pointers to start narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges in the Acton CA area and throughout California and the United States. So it is essential to lower the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a workable list. As we previously pointed out, the location of the school as well as the cost of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the primary two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your final selection, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Aside from helping verify that you get a quality education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans in Acton CA, which are frequently not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are enrolled in not only provides a top-notch education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check online rating services to see what the reviews are for all of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. In addition, get in touch with the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Acton CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Acton CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Acton CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Acton CA?
Acton is a small residential community located in the Sierra Pelona Mountains. It is off the Antelope Valley Freeway (Highway 14) near Palmdale. Acton is roughly 20 miles (32 km) northeast of the San Fernando Valley and 47 miles (76 km) north of downtown Los Angeles. The town has a rural western theme which can be seen in its homes, commercial buildings, and historical buildings (some of which date back to the late 1800s). The homes in the mountains around Acton have great views of the valley below. In the valley are ranch style homes, often with equestrian facilities. While Acton is not a part of the Antelope Valley, it is grouped together with the "AV" in the General Plan. Acton has a Metrolink commuter rail station on its border with Palmdale that is themed in an "old western" style and has been seen in various movies and commercials.
Acton was founded in 1887 by gold miners who were working in the Red Rover Mine. It was named after Acton, Massachusetts by one of the miners. Two of the best-known gold mines located in Acton were the Red Rover mine and the Governor mine. Mining of gold, copper, and titanium ore continued into the early 1900s. The town originally had served as a railroad camp from 1873 to 1876 when the Saugus-Mojave section of the Southern Pacific Railroad was under construction.
Acton was once considered for the State capital of California. California Governor Henry T. Gage (1899–1903) owned the Governor Mine, hence the name, and sought to relocate the capital to Acton. This effort ultimately failed and the capital was not moved from Sacramento. In the late 1880s, Acton started to become more of a ranching and farming community. In 1889, Acton's first hotel and its first saloon, the 49er was opened, and it is still open for business today.
Enroll in the Right RN Degree near Acton CA
Choosing the ideal registered nursing school is probably the most important step to starting a new career in the medical care industry. There are numerous variables that you need to consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have stressed within this article, it is critical that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and desire to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Acton CA.
More Fabulous Cities in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2000
Bing: California Nursing Schools Search results
Nursing Schools Near Me | Find a Nursing Program Close to You
Nursing Schools. We offer an easy way to find nursing schools in your area. Simply answer a few questions and you'll instantly be presented with a list of schools to choose from. Request more information to learn about each one.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN) - Stanbridge University
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program’s full-time schedule is offered at the Orange County Campus, Los Angeles Campus, and Riverside Campus. PROGRAM DURATION 3 The approximate time to complete the program will vary according to the start and end dates of a cohort and ranges from 36-37 months, including federal holidays and any breaks ...
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in California 2022 - Nurse.org
Now home to more than 36,000 students, SDSU has entrenched itself as one of the top public schools in California. The nursing school at SDSU has four main programs: BSN, RN-BSN, a master’s in nursing (MSN), and an LVN-RN. Nursing students at SDSU also have the rare option of studying abroad! With the low in-state cost, high NCLEX pass rate ...
Best 20 Accelerated Nursing Programs in 2022 [Updated] - Best Value Schools
Now let’s look at some of your options for accelerated nursing study. There are 264 member schools in the AACN that offer accelerated nursing programs. There are another 135 accelerated nursing programs that are not listed with the AACN. ... California. They have a 100 percent acceptance rate. This small program only admits 10 to 20 students ...
Best High Schools in California - US News
Top Ranked . California Schools # 1 Whitney High School 16800 Shoemaker Ave., Cerritos, California 90703 # 2 California Academy of Mathematics and Science 1000 E. Victoria St. Bldg. Sac3 Rm3117 ...
Pacific College - Nursing School in California
Pacific College offers career-oriented programs in vocational nursing, healthcare administration, MSN, BSN, and more. Earn a nursing degree online or onsite. ... Pre-licensure Registered Nursing program approved by California’s Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Pacific College. 800-867-2243. Pacific College. 3160 Red Hill Avenue, Costa Mesa ...
12 Best Ultrasound Technician Schools in California - Nursingprocess.org
Accreditation: CAAHEP Program Type: B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Certificate in Cardiac Sonography Loma Linda University houses well-known patient-care-facilities that not only serve patients of the Inland Empire but also provide an opportunity for its students to gain real-world experience. The School of Allied Health Professions at LLU offers two programs for aspiring sonographers.
Welcome to the School of Nursing - California State University, Fullerton
Graduate programs ranked top in the nation. California State Fullerton, School of Nursing graduate progams in Nurse-Midwifery and Nurse Anesthesia (offered in partnership with Kaiser Permanente School of Anesthesia) are ranked Best by U.S. News and World Report in 2017 and 2016.
LVN Programs in California, License Requirements - Licensed Practical Nurse
5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020 - (408) 848-4800 - . Gavilan College is located in Gilroy, California, with additional locations in Hollister and Morgan Hill. Gavilan College believes in using both traditional and emerging learning practices to cultivate curriculum comprehension and personal growth in its LVN program offering, which can be completed in just 1.5 academic years (3 ...
Nursing :: Programs - California Baptist University
FAQs. 1. What is the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program? The purpose of the baccalaureate program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is to provide a curriculum that will broaden the theoretical knowledge base of the learner in preparation for an entry-level professional nursing practice and possibility of graduate nursing study.