How to Find the Right Nursing Program near Agoura Hills California
Choosing the best nursing college near Agoura Hills CA may seem like a complex project, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already know, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you must acquire the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and determine the qualifications of each program you are considering before enrolling in your final selection. Regretably, too many potential students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the proximity of the school. Picking the least expensive program or the one that is nearest to your home is probably not the most ideal way to decide on a nursing program. There are various key additional aspects to look into before you make a decision where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first go over what the role of a registered nurse is in our medical system, together with the nursing degree options that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most significant occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Agoura Hills CA medical settings, namely hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and commonly work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to attain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Agoura Hills CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a 2 year program offered by California community colleges. It prepares graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is normally a four year program offered at California colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be eligible to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has received one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Online Nursing Classes
Attending nursing schools online is becoming a more popular way to get training and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs require a certain number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training may be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient approach to finding the time to attend classes for some Agoura Hills CA students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus choices. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be lessened, helping to make education more economical. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and household commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online nursing school will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have chosen which nursing degree to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus or online, you can utilize the following guidelines to start narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Agoura Hills CA area and throughout California and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already mentioned, the location of the school along with the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two points that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So before making your final selection, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. Aside from helping make sure that you obtain a premium education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans in Agoura Hills CA, which are oftentimes not available for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers an outstanding education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for California or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at online rating companies to see what the reviews are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews also. In addition, check with the California school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Agoura Hills CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a good reputation within the Agoura Hills CA medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students attain a position.
- Internship Programs. The best way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing too. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Agoura Hills CA hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Agoura Hills CA?
Agoura Hills, California
Agoura Hills (/ˈə.ɡɒr.əˌhɪlz/ ( listen)) is a city in Los Angeles County, California. Its population was estimated to be at 20,843 in 2014, up from 20,537 at the 2000 census. It is in the eastern Conejo Valley between the Simi Hills and the Santa Monica Mountains. The city is on the border between the county of Los Angeles to the east and south, and Ventura County to the north and west. It is about 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Downtown Los Angeles and less than 10 miles (16 km) west of the Los Angeles city limits (Woodland Hills). Agoura Hills and unincorporated Agoura sit next to Calabasas, Oak Park, and Westlake Village.
The area was first settled by the Chumash Native Americans around 10,000 years ago. As the Alta California (Upper California) coast was settled by Spanish Franciscan missionaries in the late 18th century, the El Camino Real (the Royal Road or King's Highway), a road from Loreto, Baja California, Mexico to Sonoma, California, and connecting the Spanish missions in California, was established through the heart of what would later be known as Agoura Hills.
In about 1800, Miguel Ortega was granted a Spanish grazing concession called Rancho Las Virgenes or El Rancho de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Las Virgenes. The grant was abandoned after Ortega's death in 1810, and José Maria Dominguez was given Rancho Las Virgenes as a Mexican land grant in 1834. Maria Antonia Machado de Reyes purchased the rancho from Dominguez in 1845. (The "Reyes Adobe" ranch headquarters sits today in central Agoura Hills, where it is part of the Reyes Adobe Museum built around 2004 and owned by the Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department.)
Choose the Right RN Degree near Agoura Hills CA
Choosing the ideal registered nursing degree program is potentially the most critical step to beginning a new career in the healthcare field. There are numerous aspects that you should think about when choosing a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, lifestyle, and financial situation. As we have pointed out in this article, it is critical that you select an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By utilizing our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and ambition to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Agoura Hills CA.
More Fabulous Cities in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2400
Bing: California Nursing Schools Search results
Nursing Schools Near Me | Find a Nursing Program Close to You
Nursing Schools. We offer an easy way to find nursing schools in your area. Simply answer a few questions and you'll instantly be presented with a list of schools to choose from. Request more information to learn about each one.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN) - Stanbridge University
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program’s full-time schedule is offered at the Orange County Campus, Los Angeles Campus, and Riverside Campus. PROGRAM DURATION 3 The approximate time to complete the program will vary according to the start and end dates of a cohort and ranges from 36-37 months, including federal holidays and any breaks ...
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in California 2022 - Nurse.org
Now home to more than 36,000 students, SDSU has entrenched itself as one of the top public schools in California. The nursing school at SDSU has four main programs: BSN, RN-BSN, a master’s in nursing (MSN), and an LVN-RN. Nursing students at SDSU also have the rare option of studying abroad! With the low in-state cost, high NCLEX pass rate ...
Best 20 Accelerated Nursing Programs in 2022 [Updated] - Best Value Schools
Now let’s look at some of your options for accelerated nursing study. There are 264 member schools in the AACN that offer accelerated nursing programs. There are another 135 accelerated nursing programs that are not listed with the AACN. ... California. They have a 100 percent acceptance rate. This small program only admits 10 to 20 students ...
Best High Schools in California - US News
Top Ranked . California Schools # 1 Whitney High School 16800 Shoemaker Ave., Cerritos, California 90703 # 2 California Academy of Mathematics and Science 1000 E. Victoria St. Bldg. Sac3 Rm3117 ...
Pacific College - Nursing School in California
Pacific College offers career-oriented programs in vocational nursing, healthcare administration, MSN, BSN, and more. Earn a nursing degree online or onsite. ... Pre-licensure Registered Nursing program approved by California’s Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Pacific College. 800-867-2243. Pacific College. 3160 Red Hill Avenue, Costa Mesa ...
12 Best Ultrasound Technician Schools in California - Nursingprocess.org
Accreditation: CAAHEP Program Type: B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Certificate in Cardiac Sonography Loma Linda University houses well-known patient-care-facilities that not only serve patients of the Inland Empire but also provide an opportunity for its students to gain real-world experience. The School of Allied Health Professions at LLU offers two programs for aspiring sonographers.
Welcome to the School of Nursing - California State University, Fullerton
Graduate programs ranked top in the nation. California State Fullerton, School of Nursing graduate progams in Nurse-Midwifery and Nurse Anesthesia (offered in partnership with Kaiser Permanente School of Anesthesia) are ranked Best by U.S. News and World Report in 2017 and 2016.
LVN Programs in California, License Requirements - Licensed Practical Nurse
5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020 - (408) 848-4800 - . Gavilan College is located in Gilroy, California, with additional locations in Hollister and Morgan Hill. Gavilan College believes in using both traditional and emerging learning practices to cultivate curriculum comprehension and personal growth in its LVN program offering, which can be completed in just 1.5 academic years (3 ...
Nursing :: Programs - California Baptist University
FAQs. 1. What is the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program? The purpose of the baccalaureate program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is to provide a curriculum that will broaden the theoretical knowledge base of the learner in preparation for an entry-level professional nursing practice and possibility of graduate nursing study.