How to Choose a Nursing School near Chatsworth California
Choosing the best nursing school near Chatsworth CA may feel like a formidable project, especially if you aren’t sure what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and determine the qualifications of each school you are considering before enrolling in your ultimate choice. Regretably, too many future students base their selection entirely on the price of tuition and the distance of the school. Selecting the least costly college or the one that is closest to your residence is undoubtedly not the most ideal way to select a nursing program. There are various key additional aspects to check into before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first look at what the role of a registered nurse is in our health system, along with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the healthcare delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different Chatsworth CA medical environments, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic function is to assist doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the specific duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise in addition to where they work. A portion of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and normally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are several degree options offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or continue on to attain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the Chatsworth CA area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a 2 year program offered by California community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in healthcare facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many use the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently attain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more extensive training than the ADN. It is commonly a 4 year program offered at California colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be able to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is normally a two year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has acquired one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so be sure to check with the California board of nursing for any state requirements.
Nursing Online Programs
Enrolling in nursing programs online is emerging as a more favored way to receive training and earn a nursing degree. Many schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs require a specific amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this method may be a more convenient approach to finding the time to attend classes for some Chatsworth CA students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family responsibilities have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Once you have determined which nursing program to enroll in, and if to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you no doubt realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Chatsworth CA area and throughout California and the United States. So it is necessary to decrease the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already discussed, the location of the school along with the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two things that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your selection compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping make sure that you obtain a premium education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans in Chatsworth CA, which are often not available for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specific number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides a top-notch education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing standards for California or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the assessments are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews too. In addition, contact the California school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Chatsworth CA healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a superb reputation within the Chatsworth CA healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing also. Find out if the schools have associations with Chatsworth CA hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Chatsworth CA?
Chatsworth, Los Angeles
The area was home to Native Americans, some of whom left caves containing rock art. Chatsworth was explored and colonized by the Spanish beginning in the 18th century. The land was part of a Mexican land grant in the 19th century, and after the United States took over the land following the Mexican War, it was the largest such grant in California. Settlement and development followed.
Chatsworth has seven public and eight private schools. There are large open-space and smaller recreational parks as well as a public library and a transportation center. Distinctive features are the former Chatsworth Reservoir and the Santa Susana Field Laboratory.
The 2000 U.S. census counted 35,073 residents in the 15.24-square-mile Chatsworth neighborhood, or 2,301 people per square mile, among the lowest population densities for both the city and the county. In 2008, the city estimated that the population had increased to 37,102. In 2000 the median age for residents was 40, considered old for city and county neighborhoods; the percentages of residents aged 35 and older were among the county's highest.
Pick the Right RN School near Chatsworth CA
Selecting the ideal registered nursing program is perhaps the most important phase to starting a new career in the healthcare field. There are a number of factors that you should think about when choosing a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career objectives, obligations, and economic status. As we have pointed out within this post, it is important that you pick an RN school and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your final selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your hard work and desire to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Chatsworth CA.
More Fabulous Cities in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 3900
Bing: California Nursing Schools Search results
Nursing Schools Near Me | Find a Nursing Program Close to You
Nursing Schools. We offer an easy way to find nursing schools in your area. Simply answer a few questions and you'll instantly be presented with a list of schools to choose from. Request more information to learn about each one.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN) - Stanbridge University
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program’s full-time schedule is offered at the Orange County Campus, Los Angeles Campus, and Riverside Campus. PROGRAM DURATION 3 The approximate time to complete the program will vary according to the start and end dates of a cohort and ranges from 36-37 months, including federal holidays and any breaks ...
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in California 2022 - Nurse.org
Now home to more than 36,000 students, SDSU has entrenched itself as one of the top public schools in California. The nursing school at SDSU has four main programs: BSN, RN-BSN, a master’s in nursing (MSN), and an LVN-RN. Nursing students at SDSU also have the rare option of studying abroad! With the low in-state cost, high NCLEX pass rate ...
Best 20 Accelerated Nursing Programs in 2022 [Updated] - Best Value Schools
Now let’s look at some of your options for accelerated nursing study. There are 264 member schools in the AACN that offer accelerated nursing programs. There are another 135 accelerated nursing programs that are not listed with the AACN. ... California. They have a 100 percent acceptance rate. This small program only admits 10 to 20 students ...
Best High Schools in California - US News
Top Ranked . California Schools # 1 Whitney High School 16800 Shoemaker Ave., Cerritos, California 90703 # 2 California Academy of Mathematics and Science 1000 E. Victoria St. Bldg. Sac3 Rm3117 ...
Pacific College - Nursing School in California
Pacific College offers career-oriented programs in vocational nursing, healthcare administration, MSN, BSN, and more. Earn a nursing degree online or onsite. ... Pre-licensure Registered Nursing program approved by California’s Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). Pacific College. 800-867-2243. Pacific College. 3160 Red Hill Avenue, Costa Mesa ...
12 Best Ultrasound Technician Schools in California - Nursingprocess.org
Accreditation: CAAHEP Program Type: B.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Certificate in Cardiac Sonography Loma Linda University houses well-known patient-care-facilities that not only serve patients of the Inland Empire but also provide an opportunity for its students to gain real-world experience. The School of Allied Health Professions at LLU offers two programs for aspiring sonographers.
Welcome to the School of Nursing - California State University, Fullerton
Graduate programs ranked top in the nation. California State Fullerton, School of Nursing graduate progams in Nurse-Midwifery and Nurse Anesthesia (offered in partnership with Kaiser Permanente School of Anesthesia) are ranked Best by U.S. News and World Report in 2017 and 2016.
LVN Programs in California, License Requirements - Licensed Practical Nurse
5055 Santa Teresa Blvd, Gilroy, CA 95020 - (408) 848-4800 - . Gavilan College is located in Gilroy, California, with additional locations in Hollister and Morgan Hill. Gavilan College believes in using both traditional and emerging learning practices to cultivate curriculum comprehension and personal growth in its LVN program offering, which can be completed in just 1.5 academic years (3 ...
Nursing :: Programs - California Baptist University
FAQs. 1. What is the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program? The purpose of the baccalaureate program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is to provide a curriculum that will broaden the theoretical knowledge base of the learner in preparation for an entry-level professional nursing practice and possibility of graduate nursing study.