How to Pick a Nursing School near Mountain View Hawaii
Choosing the right nursing college near Mountain View HI may seem like a formidable endeavor, particularly if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you must acquire the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and assess the qualifications of each program you are considering before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many future students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Deciding on the least expensive program or the one that is local to your residence is most likely not the most reliable way to select a nursing college. There are various essential additional things to investigate before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first go over what the role of a registered nurse is in our medical system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the primary occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in many different Mountain View HI medical settings, including hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their general duty is to help doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization as well as where they work. A portion of the duties of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Monitoring patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Keeping health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and typically work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
There are multiple degrees available to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or continue on to attain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Mountain View HI area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is normally a two year program made available by Hawaii community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more extensive training than the ADN. It is generally a 4 year program offered at Hawaii colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
Once a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) so as to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so be sure to check with the Hawaii board of nursing for any state mandates.
Nursing Online Programs
Attending nursing colleges online is becoming a more favored way to receive training and attain a nursing degree. Many schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more practical answer to finding the time to attend school for some Mountain View HI students. Concerning tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus alternatives. Even additional expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more easily affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family commitments have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing school will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Now that you have chosen which nursing program to pursue, as well as if to attend your classes on campus or online, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly are aware, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Mountain View HI area and throughout Hawaii and the United States. So it is important to reduce the number of schools to select from so that you will have a workable list. As we already mentioned, the location of the school as well as the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the first two factors that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to see how your pick compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. In addition to helping ensure that you obtain a quality education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans in Mountain View HI, which are often not offered for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) together with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a certain number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only provides an outstanding education, but also preps you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Hawaii or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit online rating companies to see what the reviews are for all of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. In addition, check with the Hawaii school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Mountain View HI healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a favorable reputation within the Mountain View HI medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students obtain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. A number of states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing also. Check if the schools have a working relationship with Mountain View HI hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Mountain View HI?
Mountain View, Hawaii
Mountain View is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hawaiʻi County, Hawaiʻi, United States located in the District of Puna. The population was 3,924 at the 2010 census, up from 2,799 at the 2000 census.
Mountain View is located on the east side of the island of Hawaii, also known as the Big Isand, at 19°32′23″N 155°8′29″W / 19.53972°N 155.14139°W / 19.53972; -155.14139 (19.539730, -155.141348). It is bordered by Kurtistown to the northeast, Hawaiian Acres to the east, Fern Acres and Eden Roc to the southeast, Fern Forest to the south, and Volcano to the southwest. Hawaii Route 11 runs through the southeast side of the community, leading north 15 miles (24 km) to Hilo and southwest 15 miles to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,924 people in 1,318 households residing in the CDP. The population density was 69.3 people per square mile (26.7/km²). There were 1,510 housing units at an average density of 26.7 per square mile (10.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 24.90% White, 0.38% African American, 0.71% American Indian & Alaska Native, 16.00% Asian, 9.89% Native Hawaiian & Pacific Islander, 1.68% from other races, 46.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.41% of the population.
Choose the Right RN College near Mountain View HI
Deciding on the ideal registered nursing degree program is probably the most crucial step to beginning a new career in the medical care field. There are many aspects that you should think about when choosing a nursing school. These variables will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, obligations, and economic situation. As we have stressed within this article, it is important that you pick an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the medical community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Mountain View HI.
More Fabulous Cities in Hawaii
Business Results 1 - 10 of 17