How to Choose a Nursing School near Sylvan Grove Kansas
Locating the right nursing school near Sylvan Grove KS may feel like a difficult project, especially if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already know, for you to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and assess the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many future students base their decision exclusively on the price of tuition and the proximity of the school. Choosing the least costly program or the one that is local to your house is probably not the best way to select a nursing college. There are various crucial additional considerations to look into before you determine where to attend classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first look at what the function of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Sylvan Grove KS medical environments, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic duty is to assist doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more complex job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are several degree options offered to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can earn a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or continue on to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Sylvan Grove KS area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is commonly a 2 year program made available by Kansas community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and later obtain a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is normally a 4 year program offered at Kansas colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their prior training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a 2 year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has earned one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to contact the Kansas board of nursing for any state requirements.
Online Nursing Classes
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is growing into a more preferred way to obtain training and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for part of the training, and almost all programs require a specified number of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical answer to finding the free time to attend college for some Sylvan Grove KS students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more affordable. And many online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Courses
Once you have determined which nursing program to enroll in, and whether to attend your classes on campus or on the internet, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges in the Sylvan Grove KS area and throughout Kansas and the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we earlier mentioned, the location of the school along with the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your final selection, use the following questions to evaluate how your selection measures up to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. In addition to helping confirm that you receive a quality education, it may assist in acquiring financial aid or student loans in Sylvan Grove KS, which are oftentimes not offered for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing prerequisites for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an outstanding education, but also readies you to comply with the minimum licensing requirements for Kansas or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Check online rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Also, contact the Kansas school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can speak with some Sylvan Grove KS healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a superb reputation within the Sylvan Grove KS medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Almost all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Sylvan Grove KS hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placing of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Sylvan Grove KS?
Sylvan Grove, Kansas
Sylvan Grove is located at 39°0′46″N 98°23′33″W / 39.01278°N 98.39250°W / 39.01278; -98.39250 (39.012860, -98.392491). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.37 square miles (0.96 km2), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Sylvan Grove has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 279 people, 138 households, and 88 families residing in the city. The population density was 754.1 inhabitants per square mile (291.2/km2). There were 192 housing units at an average density of 518.9 per square mile (200.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.6% White, 0.7% Native American, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
Select the Right RN College near Sylvan Grove KS
Enrolling in the right registered nursing program is perhaps the most important phase to launching a new career in the health care industry. There are a number of factors that you must think about when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have emphasized in this article, it is important that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Sylvan Grove KS.
More Fabulous Cities in Kansas
Bing: Kansas Nursing Schools Search results
University of Kansas School of Nursing
KU School of Nursing 3901 Rainbow Boulevard Mail Stop 2029 Kansas City, KS 66160 913-588-1619 | TTY 711 [email protected]
Best Nursing Schools in Kansas in 2020 (On-Campus & Online)
The School of Nursing at Baker University comes in third on the list of nursing schools in Kansas due in large part to having the smallest student to faculty ratio, a high graduation rate, and nearly perfect NCLEX-RN pass rate. Founded in 1858 as the first university in Kansas, Baker is located in Baldwin City and is a registered arboretum ...
Nursing Schools In Kansas For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
List Of Nursing Schools In Kansas Baker University. Baker University is a Private not-for-profit institution with a campus in Topeka, Kansas. The... Barton County Community College. Barton County Community College is a Public institution with a campus in Great Bend,... Bethel College. Bethel College ...
2021 Best Nursing Schools in Kansas - Niche
About this List MidAmerica Nazarene University. Freshman: I absolutely love the small, family atmosphere my campus has. For me, it is... Baker University. Alum: I loved going to nursing school at Baker University. The professors were fantastic and the class... Newman University. Senior: I love ...